Friday, March 19, 2010

Post PC

I may have I just figured out what I am going to do after my 2-year service in-site is done in 1.5 years.

I’ve been a big fan of KIVA [], an online microfinance organization, for a while. They have unpaid volunteers, Fellows, that do the in-country portion of the work. These individuals are the ones who directly interact with the lending institutions and the people receiving the loans.

Peace Corps allows volunteers, after their initial 2-years of service, to extend their service period. This time can be served in:
1) The volunteers’ original site doing their original job,
2) In the main PC office in Asuncion doing a variety of jobs from tech assistance for volunteers to preparing sites for new volunteers
3) In Paraguay, usually in Asuncion, working with an NGO or other organization
4) In another PC location outside of Paraguay, on a specific project that the PC office in that country is asking for.

When volunteers extend their service, even if they are working with and NGO, thyme still get paid like a normal volunteer.

KIVA is in Paraguay as well as other Latin American countries. So the ideal plan for me would be to become extend my PC service for a year and become a Fellow with KIVA.

I’m fairly certain they would let me do it if I asked to stay in Paraguay, but I’d really like to serve in a different country. That is where the snag is. Usually if you go another PC country, usually it is because that country has requested someone, not because the volunteer has a project idea. But it might work. PC is really pushing for extendees.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

That would be awesome, Lynz! Jorden really has enjoyed her Kiva account. I hope it works out for you!